- Each household will receive 50 free bags per "trash bag year" which begins at the annual Town Meeting in May. Additional bags (in packs of ten for $20) are available at Town Hall, the Leverett Village Co-Op, and the M. N. Spear Library.
- Only trash in tied yellow “Town of Shutesbury” bags is acceptable. OPEN BAGS WILL BE REJECTED.
- Reasons for trash bags being rejected include: bag contains recyclables, bag was not tied, bag weighs more than 35 pounds, bag contains yard waste, hazardous materials, or construction debris. ITEMS OUTSIDE BAGS WILL NOT BE TAKEN. Repeat violators may be fined.
- Trash bags and recyclables must be roadside by 7am on pickup day to assure collection. No call-backs.
- Place bags inside a barrel to avoid disturbance by animals.
- You may put out more than one bag.
- Items for recycling may be put out in blue recycling bins, lidded plastic storage boxes, or trash barrels. Any container used must show "recycling" on all sides — either printed on the container, bumper stickers, or large painted “R” on all sides. The hauler must be able to lift the container into the truck with the contents fully supported.
- Recyclable cans, bottles, and containers MAY NOT BE PUT OUT IN PLASTIC or paper BAGS (which contaminate the load). Please flatten plastic milk jugs and other lightweight containers.
- Paper/cardboard recyclables may be put out in any solid container — NO PLASTIC BAGS. Paper bags are OK but must support weight of contents. Fold and flatten cardboard to 3-foot sections or it will be left. CLEAN pizza boxes are okay (no food!), turned inside out.
- Passenger car tires and standard pickup truck tires may be placed at curbside with a Town bag tied firmly around the tire, like a bow. Maximum of two per week, please, and the hauler may delay taking them on any given week, depending on truck capacity. No tires on rims or oversized tires will be taken at curbside.
Recycling & Solid Waste Home