Police Dept. Links
Chief of Police
Pistol Permit Information
All firearms license processing is conducted by appointment only. You may schedule an appointment by calling 259-1279.
- Shutesbury residents may apply for a License to Carry (LTC) or Firearms Identification card (FID) by scheduling an appointment. In order to better accommodate residents, the Police Department encourages residents to schedule an appointment to go through the application process. Appointments can be scheduled for most days of the week. To make an appointment call the Shutesbury Police Department at 413-259-1279 and leave a message. An officer will return your call.
- Applicants must for FID must be 18 years old, or from 15 to 18 years old and have a signed letter by their parent or legal guardian. In addition to the signed letter, the Shutesbury Police Department requires applicants between 15 and 18 years old to bring their parent or legal guardian with them when they apply for the permit.
- Applicants for an LTC must be 21 years old.
- Prior to coming to the station to complete the application process, you must first fill out the MA FID/LTC Application. These applications are available at the Police Department or can be downloaded at the following link: MA FID/LTC Application
- When you come to the Police Department to start the application process, you must bring the following:
- Completed MA FID/LTC application
- MA driver's license or ID
- Hunter Safety Certificate (unless one is already on file with the Shutesbury Police Department, if you are unsure please call)
- A check made out to the Town of Shutesbury for:
- LTC = $100
- FID = $100
- Restricted FID (Pepper spray only) = No Fee
NOTE: There is no fee for residents over 70 years old.
- If the license is being issued for employment purposes: You must provide a letter from your employer on your employer's letterhead requesting issuance and the reason for issuance.
- If you are moving to Shutesbury you are required to notify the Shutesbury Police Department in writing. You must also notify the Town/City that issued your permit and the Firearms Records Bureau. The State form explaining the process can be downloaded at the following link: MA FRB Change of Address
The form can also be picked up from the Shutesbury Police Department. One copy of the form should dropped off of mailed to:
Shutesbury Police Department
Attn: Firearms Licensing Authority
1 Cooleyville Rd
Shutesbury, MA 01072
- If you have other questions regarding a LTC/FID, MA gun laws, or other firearms issues you may contact the Shutesbury Police Department or visit the Massachusetts state website
NOTE: Applicants no longer need to provide photos at the time of application; a digital picture will be taken during the process.