

Towns Buildings Committee Meeting  
October 12, 2022

Members Present: Steve Sullivan, Frank McGinn, Anna Cook, Jeff Quackenbush, Stephen Dallmus and Becky Torres

1. Review minutes from the previous meeting.
2. Develop report format for assessing town buildings.
3. Discuss Gale Associates proposal for Evaluation of the roof system at the Elementary School.

Meeting called to order at 4:01 pm by Stephen Dallmus

Approved the revised minutes of 9/21 AC motions to approve minutes, FM 2nds

Roll call approve minutes. Yays:, Anna Cook, Frank McGinn, Stephen Dallmus & Steve Sullivan

SD: Second on the agenda is a report on assessing the town's Buildings. I forwarded to all the simple formats for the committee to go over. Using a simple number system to assess 1: Maintenance or Minor repair needed, 2: Major repair or Replacement needed, 3: Budget to Replace in 5 yrs, N/A not applicable. Also using comments and remaining life. Let's start with Page 1 Roofing.

AC: This a great place to start, thank you for all this.

SD: Should we not be concerned about issues with things lasting 5 years or more.

BT: How this will impact the Capital Planning Comm. Will age be added?

SD: Major things need to be age addressed, ie. roofs, boilers etc.

BT: I can put a list of known ages.

AC: Age will be relative to certain items. Thinking 5 years is far into the future, but as town government goes it may not be. How do we communicate this in a helpful way for future action? We should do our best in our remaining life and our feedback.

SD: Move "remaining life" closer to materials.

AC: This whole thing would be compatible on a spreadsheet, that all could modify.

FM: As a shared Google Sheets, I can take on that role of entering the data.

AC: Adding multiple "types" will be easier in a spreadsheet. Separate Gutter & downspouts and underground leaders. What is our ability to actually inspect roofs? Should we qualify our assessments on roofs on buildings?

SD: We can use the comment section for this. Some will be looked at with just binoculars.

AC: And what about ice dams?

SD This also could be in the comments section.

BT: We will have more ice damming damage on other buildings. The DPW lost a chimney.

SS: We have it somewhat stabilized but every so often it gets bumped.

SD: On to the exterior sheet.

AC: Walls IDing materials or structure.

SD: Cladding, Using comments will ID different side of the building.

AC: Porches & Codes are we concerned

FM: Library has a ramp most all other buildings are at ground level walkin.

SD: Library has a front door with steps

SS: Townhall Annex has porch structure

JQ: Using Unifomat II will help break down different categories. This will help with future costing.

AC: Add Trees & Landscaping to the bottom of the exterior.

SD: On to the Heating sheet

JQ: Is this about the main heating unit? With multiples we can add 4.11, 4.12, 4.13..... AC: Do we have any HRV or ERV in town buildings?

BT: Yes, added to Townhall and Library during COVID.

JQ: Start another number for HRV.

SD: Add to HRV unit, ducting, louvers & filters.

BT: What about controls?

JQ: Have Controls as a separate group; i.e. Thermostats.

SD: On to Plumbing Electric.

AC: Looking at fixtures should we also be looking at ADA?

SS: With COVID the Elementary School changed the water fountains to hydration stations:

BT: ADA is important to look at.

JQ: With Fixtures will we use a separate sheet?

SD: Use one sheet and use comments to ID them and their place.

AC: Adding size of Service, looking at empty slots?

JQ: The electrical section is distribution, add Lighting.

BT: Add Generator with service size comparison.

SS: Highway Dept does not have a main generator, just a portable one that can only handle 1/3 of the shop.

BT & JQ: Add Solar to Electric

FM: Add Fiber Optic Building

SD: On to Basement & Attic

AC: Add Animals to Basement & Attic

JQ: Add Ventilation and Moisture Basement & Attic

SD: On to Interior & Other page

AC & JQ: Add Lead to Interior

BT: Add Ceilings to Interiors

DS & JQ Add "Potential Code Issues"

AC: I have to leave the meeting for a previous commitment. Set up next meeting on 10/26 @ 5:30

SD: Add Smoke/Carbon Detectors to Electric

SD: On to the Gayle proposal.

JQ: Concerned with moisture in the attic at school. And ok with Gayle's proposal. BT: Air Quality report came in this week and will be distributed.

JQ: Do Attic walk with Gayle

BT: Asks for a motion to accept the Gayle proposal

FM: I motion we accept the Gayle proposal

JQ: I second

Roll call to vote to accept the Gayle proposal Yays: Frank McGinn, Stephen Dallmus, Jeff Quackenbush & Steve Sullivan

JQ: Jeff makes a motion to end the meeting

FM: Frank seconds

Roll call to vote to end the meeting Jeff Quackenbush

Meeting adjourned at 5:45pm

