How Do I?

How do I contact Town Hall?

How do I volunteer for the Town?

Call Town Administrator at (413) 259-1214. See openings for volunteers.

How do I participate in Town Meeting?

Open Town Meeting and Town Election – First Saturday in May at Shutesbury Elementary School, 23 West Pelham Road.

See specific meeting times and agendas in the town calendar.

How do I vote?

Register to vote:  Call Town Clerk (413) 259-1204 to have a mail-in voter registration form sent, stop in Town Clerk’s Office to register in person, or register at the Registry of Motor Vehicles when you renew your driver’s license.  If you register in person at the registry, make sure you get a receipt.  No need to wait for an election — do it anytime!

Vote Absentee:  In Massachusetts there are 3 reasons for voting absentee:

   1. Absence from Town on Election Day
   2. Physical Disability
   3. Religious Belief.  

Send a written request for an absentee ballot to the Town Clerk that contains your residential address, the address to which you would like the ballot sent, and your signature.  Allow plenty of time for the mail.  Or, vote in person anytime, through noon on the day before the election at the Town Clerk’s Office.

How do I get a building permit?

Get a blank building permit: Visit the Franklin County Cooperative Inspection Program at the Franklin Regional Council of Governments website: All permits are created online. Questions? Email or Call:

    * Building Inspector James Hawkins - jhawkins -at- and (413) 774-3169 X 113.
    * Board of Health – boardhealth -at- and (413) 259-2122.
    * Conservation Commission – concom -at- and (413) 259-3792.
    * Fire Chief – firedpt -at- and (413) 259-1211.

How do I burn brush?

A permit is required to burn brush.  Go to: or call Shelburne Control at 625-8200 early in the morning of the day you want to burn. Permits are good for ONE DAY only, and are regulated by Massachusetts General Law.

How do I contact the Post Office?

Call (800) ASK-USPS, or check the USPS web site: Post Office Locator (the zipcode is 01072)  The phone number for the Shutesbury Post Office is: 413 259-1440

How do I contact Lake Wyola?

Check to see if the Lake Wyola State Park is open:  (413) 367-0317.  The Regional Office number is (413) 545-5993.  For driving directions, the Park address is 93 Lakeview Road, zip is 01072.

How do I get a dog license?

Find out about dog licenses, and print an application, from our Dog Officer's page.

How do I report a lost or found dog?

Report lost or found dogs to the Dog Officer at 413.345.8796.

How do I get more Shutesbury trash bags?

Call or stop in at Town Hall or at North Leverett Village Coop. A package of 10 costs $20.

Learn about recycling/disposing of bulky items, hazardous waste, and other trash on our Recycling & Solid Waste pages.

How do I make a tax payment?

Make a tax payment in person.  Call (413) 259-1615 for Tax Collector office hours.  If you have the exact amount and no questions, payments can be left in metal drop box at Tax Collector’s office door, when the Town Hall is unlocked.  Mailed payments preferred.

How do I attend the Community Pot-lunches?

Community Pot-lunches are held at noon on the first Tuesday of the month in the Senior Lounge, downstairs in Town Hall.  Bring a dish to share.  Everyone is welcome, no age limit.

How do I use the library?

Visit the library's web site.

How do I learn about the Town's bylaws and regulations?

Learn about Zoning Bylaws, General Bylaws and Subdivision Control Regulations.  Printed copies sold through Town Clerk.